Why do I have to "think positive" to find an implémentation of the Not gate ?

Why do I have to "think positive" to find an implémentation of the Not gate ?

Chuxclub
Hi !

I'm studying alone the book and there's a tip for the implementation of the Not gate which says: Think positive. It's page 26.

I've already found the solution it's just that I don't understand the meaning of this tip... Same thing goes with the And gate, the tip says: Think negative.

Thanks for reading my questions!

Have a nice Day !

Re: Why do I have to "think positive" to find an implémentation of the Not gate ?

Chuxclub wrote
Hi !

I'm studying alone the book and there's a tip for the implementation of the Not gate which says: Think positive. It's page 26.

I've already found the solution it's just that I don't understand the meaning of this tip... Same thing goes with the And gate, the tip says: Think negative.

Thanks for reading my questions!

Have a nice Day !
I think it's mostly the authors trying to be cute.

Thinking negative regarding the And gate makes sense -- what do you do with the Nand gate to get an And? But the 'think positive' for the Not gate doesn't strike me as a particularly useful hint. I'm guessing that it's only there in the generic sense so that the 'think negative' hint has a foil to play off of.

Re: Why do I have to "think positive" to find an implémentation of the Not gate ?

Chuxclub
Hi WBahn!

Thank you very much for your answer and your time.

I thought as well that it was a way to encourage us in our learning. Still as the "think negative" made sense for the And gate I thought that there was a deeper meaning to the previous tip. Maybe I'm going a little bit too far here however :)

Have a nice day! And thanks again for having helped me clearing this thing up!