cannot load the hardware simulator

pwolf
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

ybakos
Can you be more specific?
What happens, exactly, when you run the HardwareSimulator.bat / .sh program?

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

pwolf
on the software suite download it loads but does not allow horizontal scrolling and does not show the internal pins as shown in the book and online tutorial. when i run the source code download, it immediately closes without launching the software, i edited the bat script to pause and it displays the error "Error: Could not find or load main class HardwareSimulatorMain"

i did redownload the packages to make sure it wasnt just corrupt but the same happens every time.

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

ybakos
Don't use the one from the source download.

Why do you need horizontal scrolling? Does the window not fit on your screen? (Most users raise the issue that the bottom of the screen is cutoff and therefore cannot see the status bar at the bottom.)

The internal pins appear fine for me. Did you load an hdl file? For example, using the Hardware Simulator, load projects/00/Xor.hdl.

Perhaps post a screenshot of what you see.

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

pwolf
I was using the source download to try and fix hte horizontal scrolling.

indeed it does not fit on my screen, i will post a screenshot.

i think i read in the tutorial that one must click on some command to load the internal pins, however i cannot see enough of the hdl text area to do so

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

ybakos
Hm, I can't replicate your issue. Works fine for me (on Windows as well as OSX).

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

pwolf
I have the latest versions of java, could it be that something isn't backwards compatible?

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

ybakos
Could be. I'm on 1.6.0_65 on osx.

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

pwolf
What would you suggest I do next? I already bought the book and had been looking forward to thecourse,  and I do not yet know java, though I have started some tutorials.

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

ybakos
Have you tried implementing the first chip (NOT) and passing its tests? That's what I would do next. You'll likely be able to build the hardware w/o the internal pins part of the gui. (I don't understand why you're trying to expand the width of the entire simulator gui.)

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

pwolf
well i bought the book and i want the full experience, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.. my experience wont at all be the same without the internal pins will it?  I cant read the hdl secton because it only shows a fraction of the code, and i cant see what logic makes up a chip. sort of defeats the purpose for me, of understanding the construction of a computer system from the very ground up.

Re: cannot load the hardware simulator

To get around the horizontal scrolling problem, you can look at the *.cmp and *.out files after running a test.  This works particularly well using a program like WinCmp. Note that after a test stops with a mis-compare, you can hit the step or run buttons to continue the test. This way you get more information about the failure when you compare the files.

Debugging your chips using the Hardware Simulator is tricky, even when you can see the internal pins. I recommend using Logisim, which is a very powerful logic simulator with a schematic based GUI. Unfortunately it does not inter-operate with the N2T tools so you need to manually translate your working circuits into HDL.

It's strange that your Internal Pins panel is completely empty. Even if there are no internal pins in the circuit, there should be Name and Value column headers. Could you post the Xor.hdl file you are loading?

What version of Windows are you running? I see the horizontal scrolling problem on Windows XP sp 3, both native and VirtualBox hosted on Linux. I don't see the problem on Linux. Version info for the 3 environments is
Native XP Pro sp3
java version "1.7.0_51"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode, sharing)

Linux
java version "1.6.0_27"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.12.6) (6b27-1.12.6-1ubuntu0.12.04.4)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 20.0-b12, mixed mode)

VBox XP Pro sp3
java version "1.7.0_45"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)
(Type "java -version" at the command prompt to get this info.)

--Mark