programming ability as only prerequisite?

programming ability as only prerequisite?

Maesltrom
I'm actually in chapter 1 and i know how the logic gates not, or, and and xor works
But the chapter give more fourteen logic gates to be build. It means that i have to know more things before continue reading this books?

I was happy and feeling very well when a i started the book but now I'm confuse and lost

Please friends! Give me a way to go ahead :D

Re: programming ability as only prerequisite?

ybakos
Yes, the project work for chapter 1 requires you to build many logic gates. This is not about "programming" as it is about learning the hdl syntax and how it represents real-world physical chips.

If you spend time with chapter 1, read the relevant appendix sections, and review the slides on the web site, you should be all set.

(Go for it!)

Re: programming ability as only prerequisite?

Maesltrom
The trouble is that i don't know how to build the others gates
I only know how to build the basics and, or, xor and not

Thanks ybakos!

Re: programming ability as only prerequisite?

Students are not expected to know how to build the additional gates coming into the course. The are expected to look at the truth tables for them, to experiment a bit, to try to find a solution.

The gates should be implemented in the order presented in the book, so the next one you should work on is the Mux (multiplexer). Look at the 'b', 'sel' and 'out' columns in the truth table and see if you can find an And function, then add a 'not sel' column and look at the 'a', 'not sel' and 'out' columns and see if you can find another And. Think about how to combine the two Ands with another function that you already have.

Also, read the book section about canonical representation, that is another way to achieve the Mux function.

You can also search in this forum and on line for more information about multiplexers.

Re: programming ability as only prerequisite?

Maesltrom
Now i got it!
Very thanks guys!