where can i find chapter 7?

michalh
Hi,

Where can I find chapter 7 and the full list of instructions to implement?
(it's not on the Course homepage where chapters 1-6 are available...)

Thanks,
Michal.

Re: where can i find chapter 7?

ybakos
Not all book chapters are available as free pdfs. I recommend purchasing the book if you can.

Re: where can i find chapter 7?

Craig
Indeed.

I have reached the same stage and am unable to continue doing the course online.  Is buying the book the only option? It seems strange to me as the home page of the website says that "The site contains all the software tools and project materials necessary ..." and "Everything is free and open-source"

Re: where can i find chapter 7?

The software tools and project materials are free and open source.  The book is not.  It's also a normally priced book -- get a new US edition from Amazon for $28 -- not a $$$ textbook.

Re: where can i find chapter 7?

Tohaker
This is crazy - I can't even buy the book!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Computing-Systems-second-Principles-ebook/dp/B084V7R8PT/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1593717990&sr=1-1

Both editions are pre-orders and the earliest I can get it is December 2020?!
It's really not fair to not put this upfront, that we can only do half the project then wait half a year before being allowed to pay to do the rest.

Does anyone have a link to another version? I'm not paying $70 on US Amazon

Re: where can i find chapter 7?

That is the second edition. Everything on the website (and here on the forums) is for the first edition.

You want the first edition (unless you would like to wait and do everything from the second edition -- I don't know what the plans and timetable might be for making materials such as the planned revised software suite available online).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Computing-Systems-Building-Principles/dp/0262640686/ref=sr_1_1?crid=16HCTEBR55SBX&dchild=1&keywords=elements+of+computing+systems&qid=1593731820&s=books&sprefix=Elements+of+Comp%2Cstripbooks%2C250&sr=1-1

Re: where can i find chapter 7?

You can also go direct to the publisher, MIT Press:

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/elements-computing-systems

I would not recommend paying $70 -- it's only $35 direct (though it looks like you are in the U.K., so I don't know what impact that has).