Hardware Simulator

m.perkins
Has anyone else experienced Serious GUI issues, with the HardwareSimulator in Windows 10 Pro?  The screen render is terrible.  The status line at the bottom is non-extistant, the files are not directly editable in the hdl or the tst or cmp files.  There should also be a command entry line for the script file(s) to allow interactive scripting.  I haven't seen that you have released the source code for others to contribute.  I would REALLY like to see the status bar; as that is where you see feedback (like build error, etc.).  Please see below..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_VV5rf-4KhHFo1mhXBpvdH01L23o7mAQ

Re: Hardware Simulator

The issues with the status bar at the bottom being hard/impossible to see have been known for a long time. Sometimes (and I don't have a good feel for what determines when it does and doesn't work, but I suspect it is related to screen resolution) you can use the mouse to expand the window vertically and be able to see it.

I don't think the CPU emulator was ever intended to serve as an editor of the files. These are just text files -- use a text editor.

Remember, these are simple tools meant to support a project that a given person spends a pretty limited amount of time with -- a few weeks of real time and a few hours of actual-use time, in most cases -- and not tools that people use for years and years. Adding sophistication will actually make them harder to use for most people as it increases the learning curve. The vast majority of users just need to load one of the supplied test scripts and run it.

This is not to say that I wouldn't love to see a whole list of additional features, most of which could be easily transparent to the typical user. But I'm not holding my breath.

The code is open source (always has been, as far as I know) and can be downloaded from the nand2tetris.org website. Just go to the very bottom of the Software page.

There is a complete new version of the software suite in the works, so keep that in mind before investing a whole lot of time contributing to the current suite.

Re: Hardware Simulator

hmmanna
Similar issue on Windows 10, all of the java tools open tiny on my screen - text is illegibly small. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you.

Re: Hardware Simulator

hmmanna
Sorry, solved this right after posting. For anyone else wondering, I fixed by

Open task manager
Right click the task - "Java(TM) Platform SE binary"
Go to Properties -> Compatibility -> Change high DPI settings
Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" -> select "System"