Hardware Simulator

Jae

Hardware Simulator

Jae
I just found out that my Hardware Simulator doesnt work in windows 7, can anybody think of a way to help me? i am sure i got all the Java Stuff and i made sure that i had the latest downloads

Re: Hardware Simulator

ybakos
Jae, can you please be more specific?
When you run the simulator, what error is reported to the screen?
Which version of Java is installed? (please verify this with "java -version")

Re: Hardware Simulator

Nick
In the Hardware Simulator (2.5) the Horizontal scroll bars (eg on the HDL window) do not appear to work on Mac OS 10.5.8 with java version "1.5.0_22"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_22-b03-333-9M3125)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_22-147, mixed mode)

Re: Hardware Simulator

mlcarter
I am also having problems getting the Hardware Simulator to work on Windows 7. I have the Java JRE 6 and JDK 6 installed. It works fine on my work computer, which is Windows XP, but on my personal computer the batch file opens a console with an error on it, but the console closes so fast that I can't read what the error is. I've tried disabling the UAC and running the batch file as an administrator with no success. I might just have to run the simulators at work.

Re: Hardware Simulator

ybakos
Don't double-click a .bat file to run it.

Windows-R, cmd, and run the batch file from that window.

Re: Hardware Simulator

mlcarter
Ok, so I'm making progress now. Now I'm getting this error message when trying to open the HardwareSimulator.bat in the cmd prompt

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: HardwareSimulatorMain

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: HardwareSimulatorMain
Could not find the main class: HardwareSimulatorMain.  Program will exit."

Any ideas?

Re: Hardware Simulator

Mark
Hello ybakos, and thanks for your tip as I was having the same problem.

Just curious - why must you run .bat files from the command line instead of double-clicking?  Don't know if this is too complex a question to answer, but perhaps if you could just get me going in the right direction?

Thanks!

Re: Hardware Simulator

ybakos
It's really not about double-clicking a .bat file vs. running it from the command line. This issue is really about the working directory of the .bat file and the relative classpath.

To learn more about this, spend some time building and running some simple Java programs.

Re: Hardware Simulator

MaEstRo
Just install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of java.

I was also having problems with the execution of the HardwareSimulator.bat file on windows 7 Ultimate: upon double clicking it a command line window flashed for a second and disappears. After reading reports on this forum that the hardware simulator was working for some people in 32-bit PCs and not in 64-bit PCs or the other way around I thought about instaling both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java, and after this the hardware simulator worked normally.

So go the the Java download page (http://www.java.com/) and don't just let your browser choose the java version for you, manually download both versions and install them.

Re: Hardware Simulator

Rituparna Saha
I Am New to the course.
I dont know How to program in HDL, i have windows 7(64bit), and make sure that i installed all programs.
Please help..i Am headed NO where.
This is what shows in my command Prompt.
Please Give some sufficient methods how to approach project 1.

Re: Hardware Simulator

Easiest thing to do is to go to your nand2tetris\tools directory in Windows Explorer.

Right-click on HardwareSimulator.bat and choose Send To>Desktop on the popup menu. This will make a shortcut on your desktop that will start the Hardware Simulator. Make similar shortcuts for the Assembler, CPU Emulator and VM Emulator.  Don't worry do Jack Compiler or Text Compare; they can't start from a desktop shortcut.

If you get a message about java or javaw not being a recognized command, you may need to install the b>32-bit version of Java. The Java installer only installed the 64-bit version on my Windows 7/64-bit system, but in some circumstances, 32-bit Java appears to be needed.

You might want to get the new batch files from this post. There are instructions there on how to get the tools to run directly from the command line.

Re: Hardware Simulator

pedrogmedeiros
thaaaanks bro.