[Workaround] Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

[Workaround] Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

mmiller7
This post was updated on .
I'm having problems using the Hardware Simulator, I can't see the entire window (it runs off my screen) even if I maxamize it.

My laptop is a HP dv6t-2300 with a 15.6 inch screen and 1366x768 maximum display resolution.  I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS and the Hardware Simulator runs off the bottom edge of the screen -- I can't resize it to see the errors.  I can get it so I can see most of the error line if I set the bottom panel to auto-hide but then it's hard to switch programs.

Also, it's completely useless on my Asus 1005HAB netbook (which I originally wanted to use) with a 10-inch 1024x600 screen resolution, the hardware simulator runs a good bit off the bottom.

How can I resize the hardware-simulator main window so I can see the whole thing without cropping off the error-output line?

UPDATE: An easy workaround has been found allowing you to move the window up enough with a few keystrokes.

Windows:
1. Un-maxamize the window
2. Press Alt+Space then M
3. Use the arrows to move the window as needed
4. When finished, pressing "Enter" will cause the window to "Snap" back to the top of the screen

Linux (Ubuntu/Gnome at least):
1. Un-maxamize the window
2. Press Alt+F7
3. Use arrow keys to reposition window and see whatever you need to.
4. Press "Enter" to lock the window in the selected location, or arrow back to where it was and press enter.
5. If neccecary, enlarge the window by pressing Alt+F8, using the arrows to resize, and press Enter to lock the new size.

Thanks to cadet1620 for the Windows workaround and inspiration for searching the Ubuntu forums for the Linux workaround!

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

mmiller7
Anyone?

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

ybakos
You can't. This is a known annoyance.

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

mmiller7
Ok, if I can't resize it to see the line of errors, is there some workaround?  Perhapes some menu or logfile somewhere that I can look at to read what the error says?

It's very hard to debug chips when I can't read the error output line, and the best I can get is hiding all my menubars to see half of the message.

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

culchie
1366x768 sounds like high enough. On windows I can see the error message at 1024X768.
If you position the mouse over the error status bar does the error appear in a pop up tip?
That's what happens in the windows version.
Finally is there a way in Ubuntu (as there is in Windows) to force your computer to allow display resolutions higher than the max?
For instance my Windows netbook only officially supports 800X600 but by deselecting "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" I can use much higher resolutions.

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

mmiller7
Well, my video card will let me select up to 1920x1080 but the LCD panel is only 1366x768 so I can't go any more than that or it just goes crazy and I can't see anything but random color lines across the whole screen.

I tried in Windows 7 and I have the same problem...the "error" line is hidden behind the tasbar and I have to read it through the semi-transparent list of running applications.

I dug around the source a bit and found a constant labeled "height" but Eclipse doesn't like the package names so I can't even try to recompile with different dimensions.

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

mmiller7
Here's what I see from Windows:

Ubuntu it's completely hidden behind the bottom panel.

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

ybakos
Have you tried hiding the Windows toolbar (at the bottom of the screen)?

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

Have we all become so mouse-centric that we've forgotten that there is a keyboard interface for moving windows?  I just thought about trying it to see if it would let me move the window far enough to see the bottom/right part of the window on a small screen.  On Windows XP,
    alt+space, M, arrow keys
lets you move the window so that you can see the off screen portions.  When you hit enter the window repositions itself so that the title bar is partially on screen, but you should at least temporarily be able to see the status bar.

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

mmiller7
This post was updated on .
Wow, that's brilliant!

Your workaround will work in any version of Windows (tested & confirmed in Win 7 64-bit) but not Linux.  I'll post back if I find anything for Linux because that gave me some new ideas.

UPDATE: WORKAROUND FOR LINUX: In Ubuntu, you can hold Alt+F7 and move the window anywhere (including past the top of the screen) with the arrow keys.  You can NOT right-click and select move, you MUST use Alt+F7 to allow it to go off the screen.  (source)  After moving the window, if neccecary, enlarge the window by pressing Alt+F8, using the arrows to resize, and press Enter to lock the new size.

I completely forgot about that trick, when I have a window dissapear off the screen (e.g. to a non-attached second monitor) I use Alt+Space,M hit an arrow once, and then move the mouse it'll snap to the mouse.

That's a MUCH better workaround for Windows than hiding the taskbar!

P.S. "Have we all become so mouse-centric that we've forgotten that there is a keyboard interface for moving windows?" Yes -- blame Microsoft.  They made it virtually impossable to not use the mouse from Office 2007 on.  I used to always hit something like Alt+I,S to get to insert-symbol (I think that was it) and I used to know most of the shortcuts like that to select submenus.  Now you *have* to use the mouse because nothing is keyboard-friendly to search through the different tabs and subtabs.

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

I have a 10-inch netbook with a maximum resolution of 1024x600 and have been having the same problem.

After hiding the windows taskbar the next thing I tried was using alt+space,m, but neither works.

If I use alt+space,m and use up arrows, the window indeed moves up. But I still cannot see the error line.
The window just moves up, with the error line still cut off at the bottom of the window.

The problem seems to be that I cannot resize the window above 1024x600.

How can I see errors without running files on my other computer?

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

What version of Windows?  This should work, but be sure not to move the mouse or touch the touchpad.  As soon as you do, the window jumps back onto the screen with the title bar visible.

Re: Can't resize HW Simulator window to see error output?

Albert G
i have this problem with MacOS: the window of the HW simulator (and of the other tools as well) does not fit as sized on the screen, so the window with the error message is only half visible. And I cannot resize the window to make it a bit larger because it interferes with MacOS's dock.

The solution is actually quite simple: just hide the dock using command+option+D. Once the dock is gone, you can now just resize the window so that the full error message appears.

To make the dock visible again, just repeat command+option+D. Note that this will make the simulator window shrink back to its original size.

Albert