.hdl file ERROR!!

Tessedar
This post was updated on .
I have got into trouble about .hdl files. My operating system is Mac OS X 10.8.4. I open the And.hdl using TextEditor and modify the file and save it. But after that the HardwareSimulator can't open the file... I can't understand why.

I copied one of the .hdl files(can be opened) and changed its name. And that file can't be opened either...

Please tell me if you have any information or solution. Thank you.

Re: .hdl file ERROR!!

ybakos
Please be more specific. What do you mean by "But after that the HardwareSimulator can't open the file..." ?

Re: .hdl file ERROR!!

Tessedar wrote
I have got into trouble about .hdl files. My operating system is Mac OS X 10.8.4. I open the And.hdl using TextEditor and modify the file and save it. But after that the HardwareSimulator can't open the file... I can't understand why.

I copied one of the .hdl files(can be opened) and changed its name. And that file can't be opened either...

Please tell me if you have any information or solution. Thank you.
I'm not familiar with TextEditor, but the most likely problem is with text encoding. A lot of editors default their text encoding to UTF-8 which does not work with the Nand2Tetris tools. You may need to set your editor's encoding to ANSI.

Re: .hdl file ERROR!!

Tessedar
Sorry for that. I mean the Simulator can't load the And.hdl anymore after my modification.

Re: .hdl file ERROR!!

ybakos
What, exactly, happens when you try to load And.hdl?

Re: .hdl file ERROR!!

Tessedar
I have the same idea with you before, but it can't explain the second question, which is a new .hdl file copied from an available file can't be loaded either. The copied file doesn't be re-encode, but still can't be loaded...

Re: .hdl file ERROR!!

Tessedar
Just nothing happens. The title bar changed, but no changes in other things...

Re: .hdl file ERROR!!

Tessedar
The problem has been solved!!! It's really the encoding matter. Thank you so much!!!

Re: .hdl file ERROR!!

Tessedar
My problem has been solved!! Thank you for your help! ^_^